Today I’m going to share a Fish Curry dish. It is a fish curry with ginger Onion and green chillies. The best fish suited for this recipe is Dhoma or Croakar fish, but you can experiment with other fishes also. And if you do so please tell me too. This is fairly simple curry which will require roughly 30 minutes (1 hr for marinating the fish). This curry is very much Konkani (G.S.B) in flavour, there are also many versions of it. My sons like this dish the most, and I’m sure you will too.
So here’s the list of ingredients that we require for this curry:
- Fish (Dhoma, any other fish will do except mori or shark) – 4
- Grated coconut – 2 cups
- Dried red chillies – 10
- 1 small lemon sized tamarind ball
- Ginger – 1 inch
- Green chillies – 3
- Onion – 3
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp.
- Turmeric –1/4 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
I know it’s very short list but believe me this is all what we need to prepare this dish. Now let’s see the method for this curry:
- First and foremost we must cut and clean the fish nicely. I know this is a bit hard, I’m thinking of making a how to clean fish guide for you, till then you can ask your local fish vendor to do that for you.
- Now you have to finely chop the onion and ginger and chillies.
- Now we need to marinate the fish. To do that we should put the chopped onion, chillies, ginger, coconut oil and salt on the fish. Mix well and keep aside for 1 hour.
- Meanwhile we need to prepare the masala for the curry. To do that we put grated coconut, tamarind, turmeric, and dried red chillies (fry for 2 minutes in oil) in a mixer and grind into fine paste.
- Take an earthen flat pot called Mathiye kulle in Konkani or Manchatti in Malayalam, pour the masala in it and boil it. Wash the remaining masala in the grinder vessel with little water and add this to the pot.
- When the masala starts boiling we can add the marinated fish in the pot. Cook the fish for about 3-4 minutes till the pieces turn white and soft.
- There is no step seven the curry is ready to serve. Serve along with hot boiled rice.
I am sure you will enjoy this dish. Please email me and tell me about your experience cooking this recipe.