Today I am going to share recipes for kadhi and carrot salad that I mentioned in the corn and herb pulao recipe. These are very simple recipes and won’t require special expertise to prepare.
Kadhi is a simple north Indian dish. North Indian kadhi is generally thick; I am preparing the kadhi with buttermilk where as in north India it is prepared with yoghurt making it thicker. You may experiment by putting vegetables like fried (bhindi) okra or brinjal. This curry is generally served with boiled rice. I am keeping it simple because I am serving it with the corn and herb pulao.
First I’ll tell you how to prepare the kadhi and then we will move on to the carrot salad.
Ingredients for Kadhi
- Buttermilk – ½ litre.
- Besan (Chickpea flour) –1 cup.
- Jeera (Cumin seeds) – 1 tsp.
- Pinch of Asafoetida.
- Red chilli flakes – 1 tsp.
- Turmeric–¼ tsp.
- Black Pepper – 1 tsp.
- Ginger – 1 inch.
- Green Chillies – 3 to 4 pieces.
- Sunflower oil – 1 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
Well if you have the above ingredients ready we can start preparing the kadhi. Here comes my step by step method:
- Mix Besan and Buttermilk in a vessel. Add water if you want it thinner.
- Take a pan and heat some oil in it.
- Once the oil is heated we may put some cumin seeds and wait till they get brown and start spluttering.
- We have to grind ginger, green chillies and black pepper into medium powder and put it in the pan. Sauté for 2 minutes, you will get a nice aroma while doing this.
- We may now add the red chilli flakes, turmeric and sauté for 1 minute.
- Okay we are almost done with the curry; we have to add the besan and buttermilk mixture in the pan. Add salt to taste and boil it to make thicker or add water to make it thinner as you like it.
- Garnish with some red chilli flakes and serve hot with boiled rice or corn herb pulao.
Here comes the second part of today’s post- Carrot salad recipe. I use this salad as a side dish like I have mentioned in the pulao. This salad is really simple to prepare and hardly takes 15 – 20 minutes. The ingredients used in this recipe are as follows:
Ingredients for Carrot Salad
- Carrot – 1/4 kg
- Onion – 3
- Green chilli – 3 to 4 pieces.
- Grated coconut – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Red chillies – 1 (make it 2 if you want it more spicy).
- Coconut oil – 2 tsp.
- Few curry leaves
- Salt to taste.
- Grate the carrot and keep aside
- Chop the onion finely into small pieces.
- Now mix the grated coconut with carrot and chopped onion in a vessel and keep aside.
- As usual for seasoning, we have to take a small pan, put some oil and heat it.
- Add mustard seeds, wait till they start spluttering. Add curry leaves and red chillies in to the pan and wait till the red chillies turn dark in color.
- Empty the pan in the mixture, put salt and mix everything well.
- Carrot salad is ready to serve with kadhi and rice.
I am sure you will enjoy this dish. Please email me and tell me about your experience cooking this recipe.