This is my first post. I am beginning this journey by sharing a simple quick and easy recipe. It is called kele salli upkari in Konkani language, It means banana peel dish. This recipe is made from the by-product of banana (plantain). Yes!! This recipe is made out of banana peels.
Plantains are common in South Indian dishes. The peels contain fibrous substances that boost our digestive system. So in future instead of throwing away the peels, you can prepare this 15 minutes dish, I’m sure everyone will love this one.
So let’s get started with the ingredients:
- Banana (plantain) peels(I am using peels of 6 bananas)
- Water – 1 tbsp.
- Mustard seeds – 1 tsp.
- Urad daal (white Lentils) – 1 tsp.
- 3 Dried red chillies (we will be using the flakes).
- One curry leaf.
- Coconut oil – 3 tsp.
- Salt to taste.
- Wash the banana peels and cut them into small pieces.
- Take a Cast iron wok, put the coconut oil and heat it. You can also use regular frying pan (see note)
- Put the mustard seeds in the heated oil wait till it stops crackling.
- Put the Urad daal.
- Now add the curry leaf and wait until the urad daal turns golden reddish in colour.
- We will now add the red chilli flakes in the pan and sauté it for 2 minutes.
- Now you’ll notice the juices and water from the peels are coming out,
- Add salt to taste, then add 1 tbsp. of water and cook on medium heat till excess water gets evaporated.
- Serve with your main course and see smile on their faces. :) . I would really appreciate if you guys will give feedback on this recipe and tell me what your take on it is.
I am sure you will enjoy this dish. Please email me and tell me about your experience cooking this recipe.